runaz

runaz

Ambushed!: A Cartoon History of the George W. Bush Administration
Jim Morin

Things Not Seen

Things Not Seen - Andrew Clements I remember reading this book quite some time ago, back when it first came out around the year 2000. My school's book club had read his other books, which I adored and still continue to list as some of my favorite books, so I thought I should go ahead and read this one as well. If you're an Andrew Clements fan and the only other books you've read by him are his typical "school stories", you're in for a surprise, and it's up to the individual reader to determine whether the surprise is a good one or not. I was personally underwhelmed by this book and series overall. While the premise of a young boy who suddenly goes invisible is an intriguing one, the storyline flops around all over the place, even more so with the next two books, but in this one as well, between the supernatural and well, natural. I wish Clements had picked one or the other, instead of trying to make spontaneous human invisibility explainable by basic elements of physics. A lot about the stories is steeped in convenience--in this particular book, the fact that both of the main character's parents are well-versed scholars. I would have enjoyed a deeper exploration of Bobby's inner reflections, rather than falsified scientific jargon. Both the science and the emotions of the book fell flat, moved along slowly, and seemed chaotically disorganized. Where there could have been a meaningful discussion on what it means to be human, instead we got an awkward paranormal attempt at a feel-good book. Rating: 2/5